From ESS MC training workshop 2010
Tentative workshop programme
The Workshop is devoted to training of neutron scientists and engineers for guides, sample environment, detectors and instruments simulation.
Day 1: May 17th PM
- Welcome, installation of participants, general presentation of the McStas and Vitess packages
- Starting with McStas/Vitess (quick tutorial to learn how to use the software)
Day 2: May 18th
- beamlines: straight guides, curved, S-shaped, ballistic, elliptic,...
- neutron optics :
- monochromators, choppers, velocity selectors, slits, collimators
- background estimate from mechanics
Day 3: May 19th
- sample environments :
- concentric geometry, furnaces, cryostats, magnets,
- background estimates
- detectors : gas tubes, background estimate from housing
Day 4: May 20th
- complete instruments: resolution,intensity estimates
- virtual experiments: adding sample models and assembled parts from previous sessions
Day 5: May 21st AM
- session overview/results, closure of workshop
Each half day session (4 h) will start with a lesson on specific topic related programming techniques, possibly followed by a few user contributions (examples) and requirements, and then a hands-on session (guided tutorial for 2-3 h).